Thursday, December 23, 2004

Behind Enemy Lines

So the Chinese were throwing everything they had over the 38th parallel, we were going to have to evacuate the area. There was only one problem, we had a critically injured soldier, who couldn't be moved for 24 hours or risk paralysis. Being the camp security officer and 2nd in command, I knew it was my duty to stay with the doctor and nurse that would need to be there for the soldier. I had to radio General Graham to ask for any kind of help that he could give us. Growing up with the General, I called him by his first name when no one was around. Keith would have to perform some kind of miracle to prevent our camp from being overrun with Chinese. We developed a counter offensive to divide the enemy. We would make a push to the East and also to the West, to keep them from coming straight at us.

It took less than 3 hours to evacuate the entire camp of 200 assorted doctors, nurses, orderlies, and security personnel. It was 3:30 in the afternoon and the place was deserted except for Dr. Lester, nurse Cox, Corporal Perkins (our wounded soldier) and myself, Colonel Brian Hill.

I stayed in constant contact with the general through the afternoon to coordinate the offensive that we had planned. People were always amazed at how I could stay in such close contact with headquarters, when hq was actually over 65 miles away. They knew that with the shortwave radios we had that we could communicate but it was hard to get a good connection, I mean afterall here we were out in the middle of South Korea in the Fall of 1951. At least it was 1951 for almost everyone, well everyone except for myself and Keith. As a matter of fact, neither Keith or I were even born before 1951....................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home